Monday, January 24, 2011

When in Rome... Act Like A Gladiator!!

I am always late when it comes to popular music, clothes and television shows.  This holds true for not catching Spartacus: Blood and Sand the first time around.  I had heard about this series before and didn't pay much attention to it. But, now that Spartacus Gods of the Arena is airing, I had to catch myself up on the the premiere season so I would at least have a background.  Thanks to Netflix, I was able to see it in it's entirety this passed weekend. A story of a man determined to persevere for love, honor and respect.  I have to say I enjoyed every blood soaked, erotic, back stabbing moment of it. 
The very sexy Andy Whitfield plays the hero Spartacus in true gladiator fashion.  He is a "god" among men in many aspects of this show.  It also didn't hurt that he walked around in well fitted roman undies for 95% of the series and the other 5% he was naked. I was pleasantly surprised to see Lucy Lawlwess in the role of the Domina, Lucretia. It took me 4 episodes to realize it was Xena! 
This isn't one for the kids. As Starz informs you at the beginning of every show "Spartacus is a historical portrayal of ancient Roman society that contains graphic violence and adult content". Spartacus has just about everything you could want in a period piece..uncensored.  The Romans were obviously some over sexed barbarians. I did find the blatant, if not literal, homo eroticism of it all very appealing.  You actually see, during the series, several graphic sex scenes and an actual pre-existing gay relationship. In reference to the gay relationship, I wished they had developed it more.  Which they may since the new season Gods of the Arena is a prequel with some of the characters younger selves appearing.  Then there is that little thing of all the men look like pumped up male super models that walk around naked most of the time.  I will say that Starz found some of the best asses on the planet It must have been a prerequisite to get this acting job.  All in all, it was an awesome show. I am sorry to here that the lead character will not be returning for the second season because of a battle with cancer.  I hope he has a fast and full recovery.  For those of you who have not seen it, yet.  It is definitely worth renting or catching on Netflix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment