Friday, April 26, 2013

Bully

-->

I wrote this blog prior to hearing of Cartoon Network's The Bully Effect Program that is actually airing on Sunday April 28 5:30 pm.  It picks up where Bully the documentary leaves off with Alex Libby.  I can't wait to see it.  Read this blog to catch up on the show.  And tune in, Monday May 6 @ 12 pm, to The Five by Five  Blog Talk Radio show to hear my personal story about bullying, this blog and The Bully Effect program.  Call in with your story to 914-803-4988.


Alex Libby
I had the opportunity to finally watch the documentary BULLY on Netflix last night.  I was infuriated by the lack of concern by some of the adults, in charge, showed.  I actually teared up as Alex Libby was tormented continuously and daily.  It made me think of when I was in school (high school mainly) and all the bullying I was on the receiving end of each day. It really wasn't physical. It was more verbal than the physical that Alex received.  I remember being in the library once and this one kid was talking about me.  I had never even spoken to this kid or anything.  But, he felt the need to speak loud enough for me to hear him ask another kid was I a faggot. I was like why in the hell is he messing with me?  And wasn't this the same kid that was caught by his father in the dog and peanut butter situation?  I was a good kid and  an awesome student. I never messed with anyone.  I enjoyed the friends I had and we laughed a lot. But, there were times I felt absolutely alone and frankly I was terrified.
Another cast member in the Bully Documentary was the teen girl, Kelby. I don't know if she was really
Kelby Johnson
bullied or just ostracised. But, the feelings of rejection and disapproval still hurt all the same.  I did appreciate the fact that she had a good friend support system. She even had a girlfriend.  I think that is why my heart went out to Alex so much, because he didn't have any friends. That was the difference with me as well.  I had friends.  I was safe with my friends.  I was safe in class too because none of my tormentors were in the same classes.  I hated the bus rides.  I didn't know if I was going to be beat up for being smart, or being quiet or for the assumption that I was gay.  I remember this one guy took my chemistry book away and started to shake out all my assignments.  He then says, "Why are you in all of those white kid's classes?" For which I didn't have an answer, for fear of being beaten to a pulp.  I just asked for the return of my stuff which he threw back into the seat.  Everyone laughed.  I wonder how funny it is now that he is a convicted felon?
Ja'Meya Jackson

Ja'Meya Jackson was one of the more extreme cases.  We find her in a youth detention center facing multiple felonious counts. The reason behind her incarceration stemmed from a bus incident where she brought a gun onto the bus to intimidate the ones who were bullying her.  She tells the viewers she had finally had enough of the abuse. Thankfully all charges against her were dropped.  Although, I never felt like it wasn't going to get better.  I was and I still am a pretty willful person. I do think you carry some of that torment with you into adulthood.  Just the other day I saw one of my childhood tormentors. The feelings I had then all resurfaced and I hated him for leaving me with those feelings. I just looked at him.  I actually wanted to walk up and ask for an apology.  Then I thought that would be dumb.  So, I just left the store and the feelings passed.


It's difficult being a kid or teenager growing up in the this world.  But, it does get better. We find our own way and choose our own paths.  There are so many avenues available against Bullying.  There is a voice being heard now that couldn't be heard before.  The community and the movement is growing. Be apart of the solution not the source of the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment